GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Irish eyes will be smiling at this weekend's 35th celebration of the Irish Fair of Minnesota.
Michael Gibbons, Chair, Irish Fair of Minnesota and Jason Hicks, Chef, Cara Irish Pubs, joined KARE 11 News @4 to talk about the event which runs Friday, Aug. 8 to Sunday, Aug. 9.
The 'Pints and Punk' kickoff party on Thursday, Aug. 7, from 7-10 p.m., features a rare acoustic set by The Mahones and a beer tasting from the Minnesota Craft Brewers Guild.
The Irish Fair officially opens on Friday, Aug. 8 at 3 p.m. and runs until 7 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 10.
At the event, you will see a variety of entertainment, including: live music, Irish dance, Celtic crafts and art, children's activities, traditional Irish sports (hurling, carmogie, Gaelic football, etc.), Irish animals, sheep herding demonstrations, theatrical performances, "Best Legs in a Kilt" contest, and, of course, delicious food and beverage vendors.
This year, Cara Irish Pubs will be offering fair-goers delicious baskets of fish and chips, which they serve throughout their restaurant family – The Local, Kieran's Irish Pub, Cooper and The Liffey Irish Pub.
Chef Jason Hicks described what makes this dish so special and a can't-miss at the Fair!
Other food offerings at the fair include: pies from Sara's Tipsy Pies, Guiness Pulled Pork, Irish Juicy Lucys, Dublin Crumb Cake and much more!
The Irish Fair of Minnesota is the largest FREE celebration of its kind in the country and this year, you can get there for free, too, by downloading a coupon on Irish Fair for free MetroTransit Rides to Union Depot and taking a free shuttle from Jefferson Lines to Harriet Island.
FISH AND CHIPS RECIPE:
Cod fillet 8 oz
Fish flour 2 oz
Summit Beer Batter 2 oz
Salt & Pepper pinch
Fries 8 oz
Lemon wedge 2 each
Cornichons 3 each
1. Season cod fillet liberally with salt and pepper then dredge through fish flour.
2. Dip into batter and allow excess batter to drip off.
3. Slowly set battered fillet in deep fat fryer, allow to cook for roughly 4-6 minutes and turning once for even browning.
4. After fillet has been started drop an 8 oz portion of fries in deep fryer.
5. When fillet and fries are done drop in to absorbent paper towels, sprinkle fries with salt.
6. Place fries on long plate and fish on top.
7. Garnish of pickles, lemon, dill and sea salt.