Cambridge man rescues resident from mobile home fire

CAMBRIDGE, Minn. - A Cambridge man is being dubbed a hero after rescuing someone from a burning mobile home fire on Saturday morning.

"Tom Simon is a lifesaver and a true hero," said Cambridge Fire public information officer Corey Bustrom.

Firefighters responded to a home on the 2200 block of Red Pine Drive South just before 9 a.m. When they arrived, they learned that the resident inside was pulled from the burning home by a man later identified as Simon.

Bustrom said that the fire likely started after oxygen tanks caught fire inside the home. The tanks then began exploding like missiles and projecting through the roof and the side of the home, witnesses said.

Upon arrival, Cambridge fire quickly extinguished the fire and protected adjacent structures, Bustrom said.

The resident was taken by ambulance to Allina/Cambridge Medical Center. The condition of the resident has not been released.

Simon wanted little attention, but his father Frank says his son acted incredibly brave.

"He risked his life for someone else. I'm so proud that I have tears of joy," he said.

Cambridge Police Department, the Isanti County Sheriff's Department and Allina Ambulance assisted at the scene.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories