Father, son electrocuted on Scott Co. farm identified

Scott Co. father, son electrocuted in farm accident

NEAR JORDAN, Minn. - Authorities say a father and son were electrocuted on the family's farm in Sand Creek Township. 

The two were handling an auger when it hit an overhead power line shortly after 10 a.m. Sunday.

"From what I can tell they were moving this piece of equipment by hand and I think with the wind blowing as well it might've just made contact where they thought they had a little more room," said Scott County Sheriff Luke Hennen. 

A family member found the men unresponsive.

Deputies arrived and started CPR. Fifty-three-year-old Mark Edmund Hentges died at the scene. His 25-year-old son, Travis Michael Hentges, was flown to Hennepin County Medical Center where he later died.

"Very good neighbors. They were caring, they wanted to know what was going on all the time. They'd help out anybody if they could," said Mark Pieper, who lives nearby.

"This part of Scott County, it's a rural area. I grew up about a mile away from here. It's a tight-knit, agricultural community here and so a tragedy like this impacts many people," Hennen said. 


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories