MINNEAPOLIS - The Nicollet Mall construction project is entering its final stretch, and the sights and sounds of construction will be finished this November, according to officials with the Minneapolis Downtown Council.
"It won't be a construction site anymore," said Steve Cramer, president of the Minneapolis Downtown Council. "People will be able to fully use the mall."
As of May, sidewalks on Nicollet Mall are 50 percent complete, and the roadway and intersections are 30 percent complete, according to Don Elwood with Minneapolis Public Works.
Cramer says much of the construction work up to this point has included replacing old utility lines under the roadway, but people will notice the finished product taking shape this summer.
"You hit a point where it really accelerates towards completion, and people say, ‘Oh, okay now I really see what this is going to be,’” said Cramer.
Cramer says part of the work this summer will include planting several hundred trees along Nicollet and placing artwork. He says a few final trees will be added next spring.
Minneapolis Public Works provided the following list of additions and improvements that are in the works on Nicollet Mall:
- New Opus residential high rise across from the Library (currently under construction).
- New restaurant Hop Cat-- in Nic on 5th (currently under construction).
- YMCA in Gav Plaza--at 6th and Nicollet (currently under construction).
- Nordstrom Rack in IDS Center (currently under construction).
- Former Macy's building redevelopment plans in the works.
- $10 million investment will go to revitalizing former Barnes and Noble space.
- $10 million investment will go to Target Store (currently under construction).
- New Wine Bar announced for the former Dunn Brothers space across from Target Store.
- New restaurant announced for former Masa space (will open by Super Bowl).
- Peavey Plaza renovations to begin post-Super Bowl (will be completed summer 2019).
- YWCA renovations are now complete.
- Caribou Coffee relocation and expansion is now complete.
- Westminster Church renovation and addition (currently under construction).
© 2017 KARE-TV