Officers will not face discipline in Jamar Clark case

Officers cleared in Jamar Clark shooting

MINNEAPOLIS - The officers involved in the November 2015 fatal shooting of Jamar Clark will not face any discipline, as they did not violate any police policies, according to the Minneapolis Police Department.

Officials held a news conference Friday to announce the decision, as the internal investigation reached its conclusion. 

Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau acknowledged the "devastating loss that left the Clark family without a son and brother" and emphasized the fatal shooting had a "profound" impact on the community and police department, before announcing full support for the officers involved. 

Harteau said she spoke with the family hours before the announcement was made.

The Minneapolis Police Department's internal investigation found the use of deadly force in the line of duty was necessary in this case in order to protect an officer from apparent death or great bodily harm, Harteau said. 

"I have concluded that these officers did not dictate the outcome of this incident," she said. "This was an outcome that no one wanted."

RELATEDJamar Clark Investigation coverage

Chief Harteau said the investigation concluded that while the take down maneuver that was used to bring Clark to the ground was not something taught at the Minneapolis Police Department, it was not a "choke hold" as some have labeled it. Harteau said because Officer Mark Ringgenberg learned that move in San Diego "does not mean it was unauthorized" in Minneapolis. 

Harteau also reiterated findings in the federal investigation, both that Clark was never handcuffed during the incident and that DNA from Clark was found on Ringgenberg’s holster and gun. 

Officers Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze had been on desk duty while the investigation was ongoing but officials told KARE 11 they are expected to return to patrolling the streets, though a timeline has not been set. 

Harteau said following Friday's announcement she would be meeting with community leaders to discuss her decision, in the hopes that everyone can move forward. 

Back in March 2016 a KARE 11 investigation raised questions about the use of force by the officers involved in the fatal shooting. 

After announcing charges would not be filed against the two officers, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman told KARE 11 that in the moments before the fatal shooting, officers used a takedown technique not “normally favored” in Minneapolis. At that time, Harteau wouldn’t say whether she thought the takedown was appropriate. 

“That will be something that will be in the review," she said then. 


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories