GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Fitness expert Chris Freytag coudn't stop raving about Greek Yogurt when she talked with KARE 11 Sunrise. This creamy treat does the trick to satisfy most sweet tooth cravings and it's healthy for you too.
For those who are just getting started with eating Greek yogurt, here are five ways to incorporate it into your diet:
1. Breakfast: Using plain nonfat Greek yogurt, add some fresh fruit, a few walnuts and flax seed or high fiber granola for a tasty and healthy breakfast. Combine Greek yogurt with blueberried, raspberries, sliced strawberries, or blackberries for a delicious and fruity treat to get your morning started. For added sweetness, drizzle some organic raw honey over the top and if berries aren't in season, use the frozen varities.
2. Lunch: For lunch, use some Greek yogurt in a fruit smoothie. Try this recipe for a Mango Green Tea Smoothie. You can also use Greek yogurt as a replacement for high fat foods like cream cheese, mayonnaise and butter. Spreak it on your sandwiches or use it to prepare dishes like potato salad, egg salad or pasta salad.
3. Snack: Use Greek yogurt as the base for dips. Mix it with seasonings like garlic, dill and parsley to create a unique dip for carrots, celery sticks or cucumber slices. By substituting Greek yogurt for sour cream or mayonnaise in your favorite dips makes it a tasty, low-fat option. Plus, your guests probably won't even notice the difference.
4. Dinner: Using Greek yogurt as part of the coating in crispy, baked chicken fingers is sure to be a family favorite. Or you could try marinating chicken in a Greek yogurt-based mixture, mixing Greek yogurt into ground turkey with other seasonings for greek burgers or using it to make a Greek cucumber yogurt salad.
5. Dessert: Try this refreshing combination of Greek yogurt, blueberries, walnuts and dark chocolate chips with some raw organic honey for added sweetness. Greek yogurt can also be used in frosting for cakes or in mousses with fruit.
Incorporating Greek yogurt into your meals is a delicious and easy way to make your meals, snacks and sweets healthier for you and your family.
Copyright 2012 KARE. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed