Teen drinks 4 gallons of water and Gatorade, dies

ATLANTA - Hours before he was supposed to start his first day of his senior year of high school in Georgia, 17-year-old Zyrees Oliver collapsed and was rushed to the hospital in a helicopter.

He'd consumed two gallons of water and two gallons of Gatorade after football practice, and was so over-hydrated that his body's electrolytes were thrown off-balance, causing massive swelling in his brain. Five days later, on Sunday night, he was taken off the ventilator.

"He's already in heaven," his aunt, Nina Oliver told the Atlanta-Journal Constitutionthat night. He was pronounced dead hours later. "It's incomprehensible," she said. "We had a healthy, beautiful, vibrant young man."

Zyrees Oliver excelled at both football and track, and boasted a 3.8 GPA, according to his family and friends. His classmates wore team colors and formed a prayer circle at school on Friday, while grief counselors were dispatched Monday.

While death from over-hydration is very rare, it does happen; one woman died in 2007 after drinking two gallons of water in a radio contest, reports CBS News; earlier this year, a couple was charged after their 5-year-old daughter died from drinking too much grape soda. (Gatorade, meanwhile, helped this girl survive.)


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories