Minnesota Orchestra conductor Osmo Vanska
MINNEAPOLIS - Minnesota Orchestra conductor Osmo Vanska has resigned after a 10-year run.
The decision comes as the stalemate between management and musicians continues.
Vanska gave notice Tuesday in a prepared statement. He previously said that he would resign if the Carnegie Hall dates for the Minnesota Orchestra were cancelled. Om Monday, they were, and he submitted his resignation.
"We have built up just a golden age of the Minnesota Orchestra here and to watch it all go down the drain is devastating," said clarinetist, Tim Zavadil. "It's an incredibly sad time."
The losses have taken their toll. Normally, a 95-seat orchestra, is now down to about 70 performers.
"We're hurt every time a wonderful musician moves on, but we have to balance that with the long-term future," explained Jon Campbell, Minnesota Orchestra Board Chair.
Campbell insists the money just isn't there. The board has made concessions and it looks for the musicians to do the same. When asked how far the two sides are apart. Campbell said "far."
Musicians have been locked out for a year as management sought deep pay cuts. Musicians rejected the latest contract offer over the weekend, and the board rejected a pair of counter-proposals on Monday.
In the meantime, the musicians have set a full fall schedule outside of Orchestra Hall with their first performance this weekend at Ted Mann Concert Hall.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)