GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- While some of us may never be ready for that frost, there are things you can do to prepare. Here are 11 things you can do now.
- Clean out the gutters! They are probably full of leaves and twigs!
- Make sure your home's exhaust vents are free of dust and debris.
- It might be a little early yet, but sooner or later you'll want to empty out your garden hose and put it away for the season.
- Mow the lawn one last time, if for nothing else, to mulch the last of the leaves.
- Don't let those green tomatoes go to waste. You can pick them! You can also lay them out to ripen in your garage or basement. The University of Minnesota Extension website says to lay them out in a place that stays about 60 degrees. You can also find some recipes to use them now here.
- Bring any non-hardy plants indoors... But be sure to check for bugs first!
- Drain the boat block.
- Check your tire pressure, for every ten degrees cooler it gets, we lose 1 pound of pressure within the tires.
- If you haven't already, turn on the heat and make sure it works.
- Fill up the humidifier if you're sensitive to dry air.
- The cooler weather is a good reminder that it's flu season... Remember to get your flu shot!
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )