GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Everyone loves a good cake, and you don't have to be a professional to add a little flair to your next confection.
Terri Rosenstock, from King Arthur Flour Company, has some simple tips to get creative with frosting:
- Have a great "go-to" recipe you use as your main cake, like a Tender White Cake.
- A smooth creamy frosting will make frosting the cake easy without fear of tearing. (Two step process for frosting helps keep cakes looking crumb-free.)
- With borders, piping, candy, and other simple techniques, your cake can look like a major bakery purchase.
- Popular tools and decorations range from piping bags and offset spatulas to edible artwork and candy decorations.
- You can find a wealth of baking information and tools online at the King Arthur Flour website.
- If you get stuck in the kitchen you can call the Baking Hotline any time of year at 802.649.3717.
King Arthur is based in Vermont. The company holds an annual Great Cake Contest at the Minnesota State Fair. The winning cakes after judging will be on display in the Creative Activities Building throughout the fair.
(Copyright 2011 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)