GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Opa! Here's your chance to experience Greek cuisine and culture right here in the Twin Cities.
Check out the 24th Minneapolis Greek Festival - Taste of Greece 2012! The festival runs Friday and Saturday, September 7 and 8, from noon to 10 pm, and Sunday, September 9, from noon to 6 pm.
Krisanthy Sikkila of St. Mary's Greek Orthodox Church joined KARE 11 News @ 4 with a preview of their festival plus a tasty recipe.
This traditional dish can be used as a dip with pita chips or vegetables. It can also be used as a finishing sauce on gyro or as a side dish on meats.
• 2 cups Greek yogurt
• 2 medium-size cucumbers
• 1-4 cloves garlic, minced
• Fresh dried dill - teaspoon or more to taste
• Teaspoon olive oil
• Teaspoon lemon juice
Peel the cucumbers, slice in half lengthwise and remove seeds with a spoon and discard. Grate the cucumber with a coarse grater into bowl. Squeeze grated cucumber hard to get juice out. Place squeezed cucumber into a medium-size bowl. Stir in yogurt, minced garlic, dried dill, olive oil and lemon.
Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving or make ahead and let sit overnight in refrigerator for flavors to mingle. This recipe will make about 3 cups of sauce.
Side notes: If you are not using Greek yogurt, it is best to drain the yogurt for two hours or so by placing it in a fine strainer, over a couple of coffee filters, or on a cheese cloth. This will make the yogurt richer and less watery.
- Food Drive for Joyce Uptown Food Shelf- Bring three non-perishable food items to the festival and receive two tickets (value of $2).
- Taste of Greece 5K Run/Walk for C.A.D.E. (Children with Autism Deserve Education) and Kids 1K Fun Run - Friday, September 7 starting at 6:00 PM at Lake Calhoun. A donation will be made to C.A.D.E. on behalf of all 5K registrants. Non-perishable food donations will be accepted at the race.
- Wine Tasting - Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday evening at 5:00 (added this year) and 7 p.m. featuring several wines from Greece.
- Cooking and Travel by Anna Christoforides - Owner of Gardens of Salonica, shares her Mediterranean cooking secrets and listen to Anna as she takes us on a travel tour of Greece.
- Byzantine Mosaic Iconography Installation - Master iconographer, Robert Andrews, will be installing three (3) new mosaic Orthodox icons at the church during the week of September 5 - 9. Watch the process as he spreads mortar on the wall and uses special tools to beat and butter each section of the icons into position before he peels off the paper covering his creations.
- The Greek Fest is a family friendly festival. Enjoy our kid area with free inflatable play yards.
For more information, head to Greek Fest 2012
(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)