GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- SPAM Brand Product Manager Nicole Behne joined KARE Saturday morning to share an award winning recipe.
SPAM holds a contest every year at the Minnesota State Fair and last year's winner was Stacy Revard with the island-themed SPAM Cordon Bleu Hawaii Kabobs. Recipe can be found following the article.
More SPAM inspired recipes can be found online at SPAM.com.
If you want to compete in this year's SPAM contest register with the fair's entry office no later than August 6th. Entry Office can be reached at 651-288-4417.
SPAM Cordon Bleu Hawaii Kabobs recipe:
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup pineapple preserves
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 12-ounce can SPAM® Less Sodium, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cored, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 6 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
To make rice, in medium saucepan combine water and juice. Bring to boil. Add rice; stir. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered 20 minutes; fluff with fork. Add nuts and parsley; stir to combine. Set aside; keep warm.
To make pineapple glaze, in small saucepan heat preserves, vinegar and red peppers, salt and pepper on medium 3 minutes or until warm, stirring occasionally.
Prepare grill for medium. Thread SPAM® Less Sodium, pineapple and onion onto skewers. Brush with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill 10 to 12 minutes brushing with pineapple glaze and turning occasionally until hot and grill marks appear. Sprinkle hot kebabs with Swiss cheese. Serve with macadamia rice.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)