GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Kathryn Newman owner of Augusta Dog Training joined KARE Saturday morning to discuss proper etiquette and good manners while out in public with your dog.
Tips for proper dog park etiquette:
1. Follow the Rules: Dogs attending dog parks should be spayed, neutered and up to date on vaccines.
2. Play Nice: If your dog is not friendly with other dogs or people do not attend dog parks. Instead work with a qualified trainer towards reaching this goal.
3. Maintain Manners: Dog parks are meant to be fun and provide exercise, however as a responsible dog owner you should stress good manner. Do not let your dog jump on other people, become aggressive over toys, and bully other dogs.
4. Opportunity Awaits: Practice obedience skills in a highly exciting environment. Require your dog to wait exiting the car and entering the park. Practice heel entering and exiting the fenced area. Once inside, practice "come" when called.
5. Safety First: On hot days bring plenty of water and do not let your dog play to the point of heat exhaustion. Leash your dog until he is safely within the park fence. If you bring treats for training ask other dogs owners if their dog can have some. And, if a dog becomes overly assertive around the treats put them away.
Proper dog walking manners:
Many of the fore mentioned rules apply. Additionally:
1. Recognize that not every dog is friendly. ALWAYS ask if your dog can meet another dog. Don't let your dog run up to unfamiliar dogs.
2. Use a 6 foot leash. The longer retractable leashes allow too much freedom and result in less control on your part.
3. Always clean up after your dog. Keep doggy bags on hand and ready to use.
For more information on Augusta Dog Training visit them online.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)