MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota WorkForce Center is sharing their tips on how to prepare for a veteran job fair.
The job fair will be held Wednesday, July 11, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Earle Brown Heritage Center in Brooklyn Center.
This is a great opportunity for veterans who are looking for a job, or are interested in exploring new careers.
The Minnesota WorkForce Center suggests attendees make the most of any job fair with these preparation tips:
Four Weeks Until The Veterans Career Fair
- Start identifying your skills and abilities. Need help getting started? Contact your local Minnesota WorkForce Center for assistance.
- Become familiar with companies that will be at the job fair.
Three Weeks Until The Veterans Career Fair
- Have a resume draft ready. Choose the resume style that best showcases you.
- Start working on your 30-second elevator speech.
Two Weeks Until The Veterans Career Fair
- Have at least two people proof your resume for typos and content.
- Finish your 30-second elevator speech.
- Practice your 30-second elevator speech with anyone that will listen.
One Week Until The Veterans Career Fair
- Print at least 10 copies of your resume on good resume paper.
- Be prepared to talk to employers about your knowledge, skills and abilities
Twenty-Four Hours Before the Veterans Career Fair
- Have the necessary information ready - map or route to the Veterans Career Fair, copies of your resume in a folder, and anything else you might need.
- Have your clothing pressed and shoes shined.
- Get a good night of sleep.
For expert assistance as you prepare, contact your local Minnesota WorkForce Center by calling 1-888-GET JOBS.
(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)