ST. PAUL, Minn. - The St. Paul Chamber Orchestra has canceled all performances through the end of the year after musicians unanimously rejected management's latest contract offer.
SPCO President Dobson West said in a statement Thursday the musicians' demands are threatening the organization's future.
Management has asked for salary cuts and a reduction in the number of performers after suffering a nearly $1 million deficit last year. The musicians have said the reduced wages and loss of musicians will damage the orchestra's artistic standing.
SPCO management locked out the musicians on Oct. 21.
The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports the two sides are to meet for negotiations Nov. 8.
Meanwhile, musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra rallied in Minneapolis Thursday to mark one month since they were locked out.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)