Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images
MINNEAPOLIS - Three consecutive 90-loss seasons are not enough to sour the Minnesota Twins on manager Ron Gardenhire.
Early Monday afternoon the club announced that Gardenhire has agreed to a 2-year extension to manage the Twins. Not only that, the Twins say Gardenhire's entire coaching staff will return as well.
MLB beat writer Rhett Bollinger first tweeted the news that Gardenhire would be retained just before 11 a.m., but did not reveal his source.
The Twins have scheduled a news conference for 2:30 p.m. Monday, and many speculated that the team would fire Gardenhire after yet another season of on-field struggles.
This was the final year of Gardenhire's contract.
The long-tenured manager told Bollinger earlier that an announcement regarding his future would be made before the postseason begins on Tuesday.
"We're still discussing it - we're still talking like we always do," Gardenhire said. "Whatever happens, he's (Terry Ryan) going to make a decision and go with it. And I'm going to have to live with it one way or another. That's where we're at."
Following the 2012-2013 season Twins management did force Gardenhire to dismiss some of his coaching staff and reassign many of those who were allowed to stay. Twins officials apparently did not make the same demands Monday.
Gardenhire, age 55, was named manager of the Twins on January 4, 2002. He has a career record of 998-947 (.513) as a major league manager, and trails only Tom Kelly on the Twins All-Time win list.
He is the second most tenured manager in professional baseball, trailing only the Angels' Mike Socia.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )