MINNEAPOLIS -- Macy's is celebrating American Heart Health Month with its National Wear Red Sale going on now through February 10th.
Help support the American Heart Association's Go Red for Women movement during the annual sale. Receive extra discounts during the sale by wearing red or by purchasing a Red Dress pin for two dollars.
The Cooks of Crocus Hill are also celebrating Go Red for Women with a culinary demonstration of a heart healthy recipe.
Citrus scented quinoa salad:
· ¼ cup olive oil, divided
· 1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed and rained
· 1 ½ cups fresh orange juice
· 1 ½ cups water
· Kosher salt
· 1 red bell pepper
· ½ cup pine nuts, dry roasted
· 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
· 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and finely diced
· 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
· ¼ cup finely chopped basil
· ¼ cup finely chopped mint
· Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm 1 tbsp. of olive oil, add the quinoa and toast until lightly browned; about three minutes. Add the orange juice, water, and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed; about 15 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and spread on a baking sheet to cool.
2. Meanwhile, roast the pepper directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally, until charred all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover and let steam for ten minutes. Peel, seed, and dice.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the remaining olive oil with the vinegar. Add the quinoa, pepper, pine nuts, cucumber, tomato, basil, and mint and toss well. Season the salad with salt and pepper, and serve.