MINNEAPOLIS -- Enjoy a night on the town while helping out your community at Share Our Strength's annual Minneapolis Cakewalk.
Share Our Strength is a non-profit organization helping in the global fight against hunger and poverty.
The event will feature a night of drinks, dancing, and delectable desserts from the best pastry chefs in the Twin Cities including La Belle Vie, Burch Steak, Bar La Grassa, Lynn on Bryant, honey & Rye, Angel Food bakery, and many more! Every dollar in ticket sales goes back to the Share Our Strength mission of ending childhood hunger in America.
The event is scheduled for Thursday March 13th at 8 p.m. at Aria at the Jeune Lune in Minneapolis. Ticket prices are $65 and may be purchased online.
Michelle Gayer, owner and pastry chef at Salty Tart Bakery, stopped by KARE Saturday to give us a sneak peek at all the goodies you can expect at the Cakewalk.
Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting:
· 8oz Egg Whites
· 12oz Sugar
· 1 lb. Butter
· 1 Vanilla Bean
1. Place egg whites and sugar in a metal or heatproof bowl and stir with a whisk until completely combined.
2. Over a pot of simmering water, whisk eggs and sugar until the mixture reaches about 105-110 degrees and all the sugar is dissolved.
3. Transfer mixture into a clean, dry mixing bowl with whip attachment. Mix on medium high speed. Mix until firm peaks form.
4. Add room temperature butter in 3 additions, allowing butter to fully incorporate before adding more. The buttercream may appear broken. This is normal and it will become shiny and homogenous again.
5. Add scraped vanilla bean to the buttercream and mix until it is evenly speckled with vanilla bean. (Save your vanilla pod for simple syrup!)
Vanilla Simple Syrup
· 1c Sugar
· 1c Water
· 1 Scraped vanilla bean
Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat until syrup is simmering and you cannot see any more sugar granules, stirring occasionally