MINNEAPOLIS -- The Guthrie Theater is holding its 50th Anniversary Celebration Weekend June 22nd through 23rd with a theater wide gala fundraiser and a free Community Celebration Day.
The Guthrie marked 50 years on May 7th, 2013 and will be celebrating with a variety of events throughout the celebration weekend.
The three events being held on Saturday June 22nd include:
- Golden Soiree: cocktail party on the set of Clybourne Park on the McGuire Proscenium Stage followed by a five-course dinner in the Dowling Studio with live jazz music, a live auction, and the night wrapping up with a Dance Party. Ticket price is $5,000 per person ($4,600 tax-deductible contribution) and include tickets to the gala performance on the Wurtele Thrust Stage with a champagne reception and live post-show music.
- Fete 50: dinner part on levels four, five, and the endless bridge featuring dining stations, hors d'oeuvres, and small plates with signatures cocktails, select wines, and more. Ticket price is $500 ($275 tax-deductible donation). Price includes gala performance, champagne reception, live music, and the Dance Party in Dowling Studio.
- BEHOLD: A Gala Performance: co-hosted by Guthrie favorites Greta Oglesby and Sally Wingert. Performance features Tracie Bennett, Daniel Gerroll, Whoopi Goldberg, Patricia Kalember, T.R. Knight, and male vocal ensemble Cantus topped off with a star-studded cast and crew. Takes place at the Wurtele Thrust Stage and will be presented in conjunction with the Golden Soiree and Fete 50.
Tickets for all these events may be purchased by calling the Guthrie's Anniversary Line at 612-225-6350.
For those who can't make the Saturday events to be sure to come out Sunday for Free Community Celebration Day at the Guthrie. Taking place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. the event will offer a wide range of activities including:
- Sampler classes for kids, including physical comedy, stage combat, tap dance, singing and storytelling
- Sampler classes for adults, including voiceover, playwriting and presentation skills
- A behind-the-scenes backstage walking tour
- A family-friendly performance of Milly and Tillie by Minneapolis' Open Eye Figure Theatre
- Talks on Guthrie history and an all-day retrospective 50-year slideshow
- A costume promenade featuring historical pieces
- A 5K run highlighting the beauty of the Mississippi River
- Special involvement by neighborhood partners such as the Mill City Farmers Market, the Mill City Museum, among others.
- Hair coloring by Kids' Hair and face painting by Funtime Funktions
- Food samples by Sea Change
All activities are first-come, first-serve basis.
For more information on the Guthrie and its Anniversary Celebration Weekend visit guthrietheater.org or call the Anniversary Line.