GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - The death of comedian Robin Williams was tragic. It's hard to comprehend what might have caused him to take his life.
However, we do know from authorities, that Williams had recently sought treatment for depression.
According to national studies, more than six million men are diagnosed with depression each year.
Bill Dehkes with the Face It Foundation, which is dedicated to lifting the veil on men and depression, joined KARE 11 News at 4 to talk more about what depression is.
Currently, there are no X-rays or blood tests for depression. But you can identify depression, in yourself or someone you know, using these signs and symptoms of depression in men:
- Depressed mood most of the day
- Markedly diminished interest and pleasure in all/almost all activities
- Significant weight loss or gain
- Sleep difficulties (trouble falling asleep/staying asleep, or sleeping too much)
- Agitation & restlessness
- Fatigue or low energy nearly every day
- Feelings of worthlessness
- excessive or inappropriate guilt
- Diminished ability to think and concentrate
- Recurrent thoughts of death and/or suicide
If you have experienced five or more of these symptoms for two weeks or longer, you may be suffering from depression. The first two symptoms are particularly strong indicators of depression, and ones that mental health and medical professionals look for when diagnosing the condition.
More specifically, men with depression may:
- Experience unexplained physical aches and pains
- Feel an overwhelming sense of hopelessness and pessimism about the future
- See themselves as a burden to others
- Feel worthless, weak and useless
- Feel intense loneliness and abandonment even when he is being supported by loved ones
- Isolate themselves from family and friends
- Act out in angry and hostile ways
- See suicide as the only way out
- The way out is by facing the depression and getting the help you need
See more information at the Face It Foundation.
Also, here is the number for the National Suicide Prevention Hotline-
You can also text "LISTEN" to 741741