GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Local food blogger Cathy Wiechert of The Dutch Baker's Daughter stopped by KARE Saturday to share some of her favorite recipes for Super Bowl Sunday.
Cathy has experienced first-hand the kind of culinary inspiration a football game can bring out of people and talks to KARE about some easy and delicious recipes you can whip up on game day.
Fresh harvest lasagna:
· 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
· 1 large zucchini, chopped
· 1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
· 1 onion, chopped
· ½ red bell pepper, chopped
· 1 cup fresh chopped broccoli florets
· 1 large carrot, minced
· 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms, chopped
· 3 garlic cloves, minced
· ½ cup water
· 1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes, or 2 (15 ounce) cans
· 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic, and oregano
· 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
· Salt to taste
· 1 (16 ounce) box lasagna noodles, traditional, uncooked
· 1 (15 ounce) carton low fat ricotta cheese
· 3 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
· ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350o F. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, squash, onion, bell pepper, broccoli, carrots and mushrooms; sauté until vegetables are crisp tender. Add garlic and cook for another minute, remove from heat.
2. In large mixing bowl combine water, Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes, Red Gold Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic, and Oregano, and Italian seasoning and salt.
3. Cover the bottom of a 9x13x2 inch baking pan with 1½ cups of sauce mixture. Arrange 1/3 of noodles on top of sauce, slightly overlapped. Top with ½ of ricotta cheese, ½ vegetable mixture, 1 cup of Italian blend cheese and 1 cup of sauce. Repeat layers and top with last 1/3 of noodles and the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Italian blend cheese and Parmesan cheeses.
4. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 to 1½ hours; until noodles are cooked. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
5. The recipe makes 12 servings, but you could divide the recipe into two 9x9 inch baking dishes and freeze one for a wintry night supper.
Don't forget to sign up for Red Gold Tomatoes "Simply Fun, Simply You" Sweepstakes to win a lasagna party pack worth $250. Sweepstakes closes on February 5th. Sign up at Facebook.com/RedGold.