GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Show dad he's special this Father's Day with some great recipes that are simple to make and oh, so, tasty!
Chef Terry John Zila joined KARE 11 News @ 4 with his favorites for your pop.
Flank Steak and Arugula Salad:
1 cup lemon juice
½ cup olive oil
½ cup grape seed oil
2 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 pounds flank steak
2 Vidalia onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 bags or boxes of pre-washed arugula or baby arugula to produce about 4 generous cups
1 small jícama, peeled and cut into match sticks
½ pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 recipe Raspberry Champagne Vinaigrette
1. Combine all the ingredients, except for the flank steak, sliced onions and 1 tablespoon of the
olive oil, in a blender and pulse to mix.
2. Place flank steak in a shallow bowl and scattered sliced onions over the steak.
Pour the marinade over the steak and onions. Cover bowl with plastic
wrap and refrigerate for 2 hour and up to 2 days.
3. Remove meat from marinade and blot with paper towels to dry.
4. Place a colander over a bowl and strain the marinade, reserving the onions.
5. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet or sauté pan. Add the onions and sauté until golden.
Set aside and keep warm while grilling the steak.
6. Grill or broil flank steak to desired temperature. A guide for doneness reads:
145°F→ medium rare
165°F →substitute the steak for Brillo pads
because, with flank steak, no one
will be able to tell the difference.
Arrange arugula between 4 large plates. Top with thin slices of the grilled steak. Scatter the jícama and halved cherry or grape tomatoes over the steak slices. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
Triple Chocolate Brownies:
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup (2 sticks) UNSALTED butter
1 tablespoon espresso powder (optional)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon liqueur of your choosing (optional)
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
4 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1- 4 ounce bar white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1- 4 ounce bar milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
1- 4 ounce bar bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a square, 9x9 metal baking pan with parchment paper,
folding the parchment so that it will go up two opposing sides of the pan. (These
brownies are dense, and this will help in removing the baked brownies for the pan
without losing any product.)
2. Spray the parchment-lined pan with a baking spray, such as Pam®.
3. Melt the unsweetened chocolate and butter (and espresso powder, if using) in the top
of a double boiler or in the
microwave. (About 5 minutes) Whisk until smooth
4. Add the white and brown sugars to the melted chocolate mixture and incorporate by
hand or with a hand held electric mixer. Scrape the bowl.
5. Add vanilla extract and liqueur (if using) and whisk until blended.
6. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, and whisk until smooth after each addition. Scrape the
7. In a separate glass bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt until blended.
Add the flour mixture to the batter and mix just until smooth. Scrape the bowl to
insure full incorporation of the dry ingredients, being careful not to over-mix.
8. Fold in the chopped white, milk and dark chocolate.
9. Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for about 35
10. Remove the pan form the oven and cool on a wire rack for about an hour before