GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - We're celebrating summer and grilling up some flavor filled lamb chops. This is one of Chef Terry John Zila's favorite recipes plus a great side dish and dessert and he's shared it with all of us.
Grilled Lamb Chops
4 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
Pinch cayenne pepper
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
8 lamb chops, 1-inch thick
Vegetable oil for grilling
1. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse together the garlic, rosemary, thyme, cayenne, and salt.
2. Pour in olive oil in a slow, steady stream and pulse into a paste. Rub the paste on both sides of the lamb chops and let them marinate for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
3. Remove from refrigerator and allow the chops to come to room temperature for at least 20 minutes before grilling.
4. Brush a grill pan lightly with vegetable oil. Heat the grill pan over high heat until almost smoking, add the chops and sear for about 2 minutes. Turn the chops and cook for another 3 minutes for medium-rare. Do not overcook.
Roasted Vegetable Salad with Israeli Couscous and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Preheat oven to 350°F
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves peeled garlic, vegetables
1 cup Israeli Couscous
1 ½ cup vegetable stock
3 tablespoons Olive oil
1 zucchini cut into ½ inch dice
1 squash, peeled and seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice
4 cloves peeled garlic, coarsely chopped
1 red onion, peeled and cut into ½ inch dice
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice
8 sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
¼ cup balsamic vinaigrette
½ cup toasted walnut pieces
½ cup julienne fresh basil
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan.
2. Add the garlic and sauté until it begins to soften but not brown.
3. Add the couscous and stir to coat with oil.
4. Add the stock and cook the couscous, stirring it occasionally, until all the stock is absorbed
This will take approximately 12-15 minutes. When couscous is tender, remove from heat and place cooked couscous into a heat-proof bowl.
5. While the couscous is cooking, place the 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large bowl.
6. Place all the vegetables in the bowl and thoroughly coat with oil.
7. On a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet, spread out the coated vegetables evenly and bake in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Drain on paper towels.
To assemble salad, combine Israeli couscous, roasted vegetables, tomatoes and walnuts in a large bowl. Add balsamic vinaigrette to taste. Garnish with fresh basil.
Grilled Rum Soaked Pineapple with Spiced Caramel Sauce
1 cup dark rum
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ cup brown sugar
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 16 spears
Toasted coconut to garnish
Vanilla or coconut ice cream to serve
1. Place pineapple in a single layer in a 13x9 cake pan.
2. Whisk together the rum, melted butter, sugar and spices and pour over pineapple slices.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
1. Remove pineapple from marinade and set aside.
2. Pour the marinade into a skillet, preferably non-stick. Use a rubber spatula to scrape all of the
marinade out of the pan. Over medium heat, bring the marinade mixture to a simmer until
sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
3. Light a grill or heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Lightly oil the grilling surface and grill
the pineapple on each side just until pineapple is beginning to color.
4. Remove from grill and plate pineapple spears and serve with coconut or vanilla ice cream and
drizzle with sauce and toasted coconut to garnish.