SHARECOMMENTMORE

MINNEAPOLIS --An anniversary usually is a time to celebrate a date that has passed, but the six month mark of the tornado that devastated north Minneapolis is no celebration.

"I sat on our front steps and screamed," Marie Porter recalled of May 22 whenshe ran to her home to find it was nearly destroyed.

Marie and Michael Porter are just one couple among nearly 2,000 other homeowners hit by nature's wraththat day.Since then they have worked day and night to rebuild what they lost --to the tune of at least $30,000 out of pocket, and $90,000in insurance claims.

"It's been one project after another and it's really exhausting," Michael said Monday night on the eve of the anniversary.

The city, says it is trying to help.

As ofMonday, Minneapolis housing officials claim the city has $2 millionin tornado assistance for homeowners to rebuild. The cityestimatesat least 150 homeowners have yet to tap those funds.

"We have the money to assist the homeowners that still need repairs, we just need to engage them and let them know they can call the hotline for assistance," city spokeswoman Cherie Shoquist said.

That hotline number is 612-787-3730.

Shoquist says homeowners needing any tornado repair should call that hotline and not worry about anything they may have or have not qualified for in terms of loans in the past.

"They may not know we have over 2 million dollars available to help them get repairs made," Shoquist said.

That money, the city says, comes with no interest rate and if the homeowner plans to stay in the home at least 10 years it is forgivable to pay back.

SHARECOMMENTMORE