Kitchen Window's Cherry Glazed Hickory Smoked Espresso Hanger Steak
1 hanger steak, trimmed
2 teaspoons espresso beans, finely ground
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup sweet onion, finely diced
1 cup red wine
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cups sour cherries, pitted (fresh or frozen)
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cherry bitters
1. Prepare a smoker or grill with hickory wood and preheat to 220F.
2. Combine the espresso, salt, sugar and pepper and season the hanger steak with the spice blend.
3. Place the hanger steak in the smoker and cook until the internal temperature reaches 120F. Once the beef has reached temp, remove from the smoker and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
4. While the beef is cooking, combine the butter and diced onion in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent but not browned.
5. Add the wine, balsamic and cherries to the pan and continue to cook for 5 minutes or until the cherries begin to break down.
6. Remove from the heat and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
7. Add the cherry bitters to the sauce.
8. To serve, slice the hanger steak across the grain and place on a platter. Spoon some of the cherry glaze around the beef.