ST. CLOUD, Minn. - Investigators in St. Cloud say careless cooking sparked the house fire that claimed the life of a 23-year-old man on the city's south side.

Kyle Kopischke of Comfrey died and his roommate suffered injuries, including smoke inhalation, when the home at 520 6th Avenue South started on fire November 24.

Fire investigators ruled that the fatal fire started in the kitchen and extended throughout the walls, ceilings and roof of the structure. Just this week an electrical engineer determined that two rear burners on the electric stovetop were in the on position and operating at the time of the fire, one burner on high and the other on medium-high.

A disabled smoke alarm was found on a shelf in the victim's upstairs bedroom with the battery removed.

Investigators say alcohol is also believed to be a contributing factor in the incident.

Read or Share this story: