LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

ANOKA, Minn. - A local mom whose son overdosed on cold medicine is telling other parents to be alert.

Kimberly Hache of Anoka says her 16-year-old son was rushed to Mercy Hospital early Sunday after he and a friend took 16 cold pills and half a bottle of cough syrup.

She says she never knew over-the-counter medications could be so dangerous until she saw what happened to her son, and she's thankful he's now okay.

"He was sweating profusely, agitated, restless, not able to talk," Hache said. "So we weren't even sure what we could do."

Dr. Jeremy Olsen at United Hospital says some cough syrups,if not taken as prescribed, can cause symptoms ranging from dizziness and a fast heartbeat, to loss of consciousness, brain damage and even death.

He says medicines should be taken as directed, and never combined without the supervision of a doctor.

Read or Share this story: http://kare11.tv/1cOzsGF