GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Jenny Hanlon, teacher and author, came to KARE to talk about helpful homework tips for parents and their children.
Hanlon offers many helpful hints including...
- Making a plan with your child. A set schedule, time and place, to work on homework every day.
- Dedicate a 'homework buddy' for children in early elementary grades. 'Homework buddy' can be anybody from an older sibling to a grandparent, someone who will be available to help and double check the work.
- Discuss any homework troubles with the child's teacher as soon as they arise and make a plan for success.
- Advocate for healthy homework policies at the child's school.
- Let children make mistakes.