GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Too often when grabbing a snack, it'sthe unhealthy stuffthat finds its way into our hands.
That's especially the case on road trips.
Fast food and bags of chips or candy can consume our time in the car.
So, this morning,Chris Freytag is offering some healthy alternatives to pack for those trips during Motivation Monday.
- Cleaned and sliced raw vegetables; carrots, red peppers, broccoli, celery
- Snack packs of peanut butter or guacamole for dipping. My favorite is Wholly Guacamole, individual, all-natural packs of guac that travel well and are great for dipping in veggies and healthy chips.
- Washed fresh fruit: Apples, oranges, bananas, grapes
- Make your own trail mix - nuts, cheerios, goldfish, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate chips.
- Healthy energy bars. My favorite bars areKIND Barsbecause they are made from wholesome ingredients you can actually see and pronounce, like whole nuts, fruits and spices. All of their bars are not only delicious but are a good source of essential nutrients like fiber, protein and antioxidants (to name a few!)
- String cheese
- Yogurt -I like the Greek yogurt varieties.
- Homemade popcorn in individual baggies.
- Sandwiches made with lean luncheon meats and lowfat cheese or hummus and fresh spinach
- PB and J for the kids