LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

PHILADELPHIA - A lawyer who filed the first concussion lawsuit against the NFL says the league stepped up to the plate, and the game will be better because of the litigation.

Philadelphia lawyer Sol Weiss believes the proposed $765 million settlement will go through, allowing retired players to begin getting payments within 18 months.

The deal could be nixed if too many ex-players opt out to sue individually.

But Weiss, speaking at Villanova Law School on Thursday, says they would face an uphill battle in court. He thinks most will accept the deal.

The awards could reach $5 million for athletes with Lou Gehrig's disease and $3 million for dementia cases, and includes medical testing for those without symptoms.

Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody must still approve the settlement, which was reached last month.

Read or Share this story: http://kare11.tv/1bcPg7B