MINNEAPOLIS -- The 10th Annual Diabetes Expo will be taking place Saturday October 12th at the Minneapolis Convention Center.
The American Diabetes Association of Minnesota will be hosting the 10th annual event that will showcase the latest products and services for people with diabetes. More than 70 exhibitors featuring the latest products, medications, information, and services will be at this one day to offer knowledge and new services.
Event will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and is free to attend. To find out more information visit Diabetes Expo Minneapolis.
Chef Manny Gonzalez from Manny's Tortas at Midtown Global Market will also be in attendance at the Expo conducting cooking demonstrations for healthier eating habits.
Mac and Cheese with Vegetables recipe:
- ½ cup dried whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- Cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 oz broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash or zucchini (about 4 oz), thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ cup fat-free half-and-half
- ¼ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp shredded or grated part-skim asiago cheese or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp plain dry bread crumbs Directions: 1. Prepare the pasts using the package directions, omitting the salt and oil. Drain well in a colander. Lightly spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Pour pasta into the baking pan. 2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. 3. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the bell pepper for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Stir in the broccoli and squash. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally. 4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, broth, flour, salt, and pepper. Pour into the cooked bell pepper mixture. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in cheddar and asiago until melted. Stir into the pasta. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. 5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the casserole is heated through and the top is golden brown.