GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - This week on "Piatt's Projects", we're sharing do-it-yourself holiday gift ideas.
I decided to makecustomized coffee mugs for the entire KARE 11 Sunrise crew. Here's what you need to know if you'd like to make them too!
What you need: (I got all the painting supplies at Michaels)
- Coffee mug. (I found mine at the Goodwill Thrift Store for $0.99 each!)
-Martha Stewart Crafts glass paint (I used copper metallic opaque, yellow gold metallic opaque, beetle black gloss opaque, habanero gloss opaque)
- Martha Stewart Crafts adhesive silkscreens (I chose the leaf design)
- Martha Stewart Crafts adhesive stencils (Choose lettering you like)
- Martha Stewart Crafts squeegee tool
- Apply adhesive stencil to mug. (Whatever letter youchoose)
- Apply black glass paint around edge of letter on stencil.
- Evenly disperse a thin layer of paint over entire stencil using squeegee tool.
- Remove stencil while paint is still wet.
- Apply adhesive silkscreens on mug wherever you choose. As you did with stencil, apply paint of choice around border of silkscreen. Use squeegee tool to evenly disperse paint across entiresilkscreen, then remove silkscreen while paint is still wet.
- Continue this process until the mug looks the way you'd like.
- Once finished, you can either let the mug air cure for 21 days or you can bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. The mug will then be dishwasher safe.
OF NOTE: Silkscreens are re-usable so rinse off paint after each use and make sure they are completely dry before using again.
For more detailed instructions click here.
Sue Katsiotis with Creative Kidstuff also shares some DIY holidays gifts, including personalized coasters, chalk dipped wine glasses, and hand decorated candles.