GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Potato Pancakes Latkes for Chanukkah (parve).
Song pairings: "Oh Hannukah" and "Ma'oz Tzur" sung by Cantor Mitch available on the download
4 large pealed potatoes
1 large finely diced onion or 1 large leek
1 tsp salt
1½ tsp baking powder
½ C flour or matza meal (Bubbie says you may need a little bit more)
2 T basil
½ C oil for the griddle or pan
1. Grate the potatoes.
2. Place onions and potatoes into a strainer to let the excess liquid drain out.
3. In a bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, eggs, salt and basil.
4. Add the baking powder and flour, and mix thoroughly.
5. Pour individual pancakes onto a greased, heated griddle or sauté pan.
6. Fry the pancakes for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
7. Drain the pancakes on brown paper or paper towels.
8. To warm later, spread the pancakes out on a cookie sheet and bake for 2-3 minutes at 375 degrees.