LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Fire inspectors say an early morning house fire that left one person dead was caused by careless smoking in bed.

According to officials, the fire broke out around 7:45 a.m. at a home on the 700 block of North Lexington in St. Paul.

They say the eight family members living in the home were able to escape, but a family friend, who was sleeping in the basement, died in the fire.

"The bedroom was not equipped with adequate egress windows and the fire either was in the bedroom or just outside his bedroom door, trapping him inside," according to Tim Butler with the St. Paul Fire Department.

The victim, identifies as 38-year-old "Gumtoro," died from smoke inhalation, according to the medical examiner.

Authorities say one family member was injured trying to rescue the man trapped in the basement.

According to officials, a smoke alarm alerted the family to the fire, but three of the home's smoke alarms were disconnected.

Read or Share this story: http://kare11.tv/1bdNcwj