MANKATO, Minn. - While assault charges are front and center on the list of former Gopher quarterback Philip Nelson's worries, his future football dreams have taken a major hit as well.
Rutgers University announced Tuesday morning that Nelson has been dismissed from the football program. Nelson had transferred to Rutgers in January after playing two years for the Gophers, and was considered a potential starter in 2015, after sitting out a mandatory season due to NCAA transfer rules.
"The Rutgers football family's thoughts and prayers are with Isaac Kolstad and his family," said Rutgers head football coach Kyle Flood, after announcing that Nelson had been dropped from the squad.
The decision was made in the wake of first and third degree assault charges filed Monday in connection with an altercation that left a man with critical head injuries. Issac Kolstad underwent surgery Tuesday morning. His family reports that the procedure went well, but that Kolstad remains in critical condition.
Philip Nelson officially remains a student at Rutgers, but that status may be short-lived.
"Behavior such as alleged in this matter is a violation of our Code of Student Conduct and could lead to sanctions such as suspension and ban from campus," Rutgers spokesperson E.J. Miranda said in a statement.