SHARE 5 5 3 COMMENTMORE

MINNEAPOLIS - The hole is dug, a wrecking ball is swinging and fans are hauling out Metrodome seats, but none of that is stopping Doug Mann.

"I mean seats were taken out; seats could probably be put back in," says Mann.

The former candidate for mayor of Minneapolis has, at least temporarily, stopped the sale of bonds for the new Vikings stadium.

Mann's lawsuit, filed Friday with the state Supreme Court, prompted Minnesota Management and Budget to suspend bond sales on the day they were schedule to start.

Mann claims the stadium deal is unconstitutional, since Minneapolis tax revenue is being used to fund state-issued bonds.

"I want to get Minneapolis taxpayers off the hook for paying for the stadium," said Mann.

On Monday, the governing body for the stadium announced it's petitioning the court to become a party to the lawsuit, thus giving the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Authority a voice in legal proceedings. The authority is also requesting that Mann be required to post a bond to cover financial losses that could be incurred if the stadium is delayed due to his lawsuit.

Mann, who was laid off from his nursing job last fall, defended his suit, which was drafted without the assistance of an attorney.

"We have a lot of rich people who try to help other rich people get richer," he said of his motivation.

Hamline Law Professor Emeritus Joseph Daly believes Mann's suit is destined for a quick dismissal.

"The Supreme Court doesn't like to act on its own until a case has worked its way up from a lower court," he said.

Daly said justices are well aware of the financial costs of a stadium delay and will likely act swiftly to settle the matter.

Last year, Mann was turned back in another stadium-related suit against the city of Minneapolis. He's now appealing that lower court decision.

SHARE 5 5 3 COMMENTMORE