MINNEAPOLIS - Eight members of the Minnesota Orchestral Association Board have resigned in protest of last week's announcement that President and CEO Michael Henson would step down on Aug. 31.
Save Our Symphony Minnesota said that it is disappointed to learn of the resignations.
SOSMN said that it believies that replacing Henson is a necessary step on the path to bringing the institution back "from the brink of disaster."
Henson stepped down after a tumultuous year in which contract negotiations dominated headlines.
"We believe that Henson's departure will pave the way to restoration and growth of audiences, donations and artistic excellence," the group said in a statement.
SOSMN also said that the return of Maestro Osmo Vänskä as Music Director would further enable healing while restoring the orchestra's reputation. Vänskä is reportedly in talks about a possible return. He is in the Twin Cities this weekend helping the orchestra celebrate it's win at the Grammys.