MINNEAPOLIS - With the Super Bowl in our lovely cold weather climate, we're thinking about warm drinks that will serve a dual purpose -- keep you warm and cozy, both inside and out.
And when it comes to specialty cocktails, we went straight to the master source -- Robb Jones, bar director of Spoon and Stable and Bellecour.
He shows us how to mix up a mulled cider that's perfect for even the chilliest of Super Bowl parties.
What you need
1 gallon Apple cider
1 tablespoon cloves
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 tablespoons caraway
1 tablespoon cardamom
3 cinnamon sticks
1 orange peel
2 cups sugar
How to do it
- Toast the spices over low heat until fragrant.
- Add cider and bring to a boil.
- Add orange peel.
- Whisk in sugar and reduce to a simmer. Simmer low for 10 min.
- Strain spices from cider and add liquid to a crockpot or airpot.
- In a warm mug add 1 oz of spirit of your choice. Robb recommends Booker’s Bourbon.
- Top with 6 oz hot cider, garnish with clove-studded orange peel and cinnamon stick.