GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Chef Terry John Zila is getting ready for another of his "pop up" meals at Travail in Robbinsdale.
His next Sel Et Terre is taking place on Sunday, March 4. Seatings are at 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. For additional details: https://www.facebook.com/tjzcuisine/
1 pound bulk pork breakfast sausage
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground sage
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups whole milk
1. Set a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat and cook the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it is loose and no longer pink, approximately 10 minutes. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
2. Melt the unsalted butter in the sausage fat. Add the flour and the spices and, whisking constantly, cook until the flour has been absorbed by the fat and the mixture forms a paste, approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the milk in small increments, allowing the flour to absorb each milk addition. The mixture will look very curdled. This will change as more milk is added.
4. Continue to add the milk in small additions until the sauce is smooth and uniform. If the sauce is too thick, add milk in 1 tablespoon increments until you achieve the desired thickness.
5. Add the cooked sausage back into the sauce and heat through.
6. Serve with fresh biscuits.