MINNEAPOLIS - Fig + Farro opened this year as restaurant with a purpose, located in Calhoun Square on Lake and Hennepin.
With a mission of addressing climate change by eating less meat, Fig + Farro serves "global vegetarian comfort food." Their philosophy is to create food that tastes good and does good.
Their vegetarian menu is wholesome and nourishing, blending flavors from around the world.
Learn more on their website.
Recipe for Shakshuka:
• 3 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 yellow onions, diced
• 1 red bell pepper, cored / seeded and roughly chopped
• 7 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 Tbsp ground cumin
• 1 Tbsp paprika
• 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• 28 oz canned whole tomatoes, broken up
• Red pepper flakes, to taste
• Toppings: feta and fresh parsley
• Heat oil in large skillet. Add onions and saute over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes until translucent.
• Add bell peppers and cook until slightly browned.
• Add garlic, cumin, paprika, black pepper and sugar. Saute for 2 minutes, adding red pepper flakes to taste.
• Add canned tomatoes, breaking up as it cooks and reduces down for 20 minutes.
• Heat serving size of tomatoes in a skillet until very hot.
• Add eggs and core cooking for approximately 10 minutes.
• Transfer to serving dish and garnish with feta and parsley.