GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - With Thanksgiving just around the corner, Chef Paul Lynch from Urbana Craeft Kitchen will share his tips for the holiday.
Tip #1 – The Key to Perfect Mashed Potatoes
A staple on the Thanksgiving table, mashed potatoes can be ordinary, requiring a heavy helping of gravy, but Chef Paul shares his secret to the perfect mashed potatoes. Hint: it involves boiling them with the skin on and peeling them after cooking, using a ricer, and adding whole milk, cream, butter and one special touch!
Urbana Craeft Kitchen Mashed Potatoes
-4 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes -- washed unpeeled
-1.5 sticks of Butter
-3 tablespoons chives, minced
-6 tablespoons Heavy Cream, warmed
-8 tablespoons Whole Milk, warmed
-7 tablespoons Sour cream
-3/4 teaspoon White Pepper
-1 1/3 tablespoons Salt
-1/3 pound Gouda cheese, shredded
• Cover potatoes with cold water, salt water. Cooked until tender (Approx: 60-70 minutes) and check with skewer to ensure tender.
• When potatoes are just about done, put cream, milk, sour cream and butter in sauce pot, bring to simmer, reduce heat to low and hold while potatoes are cooking.
• Peel potatoes using a table knife to scrape off skins. Rice potatoes.
• Mix salt and pepper into warm cream. Add cream mix, cheese and chives into riced potatoes. (Do not add all liquids at once, add to achieve desired consistency). Stir until smooth and creamy.
Too stressed to tackle the holiday on your own? Urbana Craeft Kitchen has three options to be grateful for this Thanksgiving:
• Let yourself relax this Thanksgiving and enjoy a three-course meal with a traditional local Ferndale Turkey dinner for just $29.95 per adult and $12.95 per child (ages 6 – 12). As a special bonus, Thanksgiving diners will also receive complimentary Black Friday Parking and transportation to the Mall of America, beginning at 4:30 a.m.
• Don’t let the hassle of cooking for a large group take away from spending time with family and friends. Call in advance and Chef Paul Lynch will take care of your turkey dinner! Orders are available for up to 8 people and must be placed by Nov. 20.
• Treat yourself to an indulgent a classic holiday pie, Urbana’s Maple Praline Pumpkin Pie, made with local pumpkins and honeycrisp apples, and Minnesota maple syrup. Pre-order yours by Nov. 20.
Urbana Craeft Kitchen is located adjacent to the Hyatt Regency by Mall of America at 3200 East 81st Street in Bloomington. For more information, visit www.urbanacraeftkitchen.com.