GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - The Centers For Disease Control and Prevention says Minnesota ranks 3rd in the nation for injurious falls and fall related deaths among seniors. In 2008, the state ranked 5th.
Experts say nationwide an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall every 13 seconds. Every 20 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall.
Registered nurse Mary Hertel from the Minnesota Board on Aging appeared on KARE 11 at 11 Tuesday to discuss the importance of fall prevention, as well as available community classes available to seniors.
“Fall Prevention Awareness Day” is September 22, 2016. This year’s theme is “Ready, Steady, Balance: Prevent Falls in 2016”.
For more information on aging related topics, call the Senior Linkage Line at 1-800-333-2433.
- Minnesota Board on Aging: www.mnaging.org
- Minnesota Healthy Aging Calendar: http://www.mnhealthyaging.org/en/FindAClass.aspx
- NCOA Falls Prevention: https://www.ncoa.org/healthy-aging/falls-prevention/
- 6 steps to prevent a Fall: https://www.ncoa.org/healthy-aging/falls-prevention/preventing-falls-tips-for-older-adults-and-caregivers/take-control-of-your-health-6-steps-to-prevent-a-fall/
- CDC Older Adult Falls:http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/index.html
- MN Fall Prevention website: www.mnfallsprevention.org
- Minnesota Board on Aging: www.mnaging.org or call the Senior Linkage Line 1-800-333-2433
- Caregiver: https://www.ncoa.org/healthy-aging/falls-prevention/preventing-falls-tips-for-older-adults-and-caregivers/6-steps-to-protect-your-older-loved-one-from-a-fall/