GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. — Move over, cauliflower... the mighty cabbage is coming.
Chef Jeremy Reinicke of Fairview’s Ways to Wellness program says there are all kinds of benefits to the oft-maligned vegetable. He teaches all kinds of cooking classes for people who have health challenges, and those who just want to live a healthier life.
Here are some of the benefits of cabbage:
- it’s inexpensive
- loaded with powerful antioxidants, polyphenols and vitamins B6, C and K that can help prevent cancer, heart disease and improve the body’s immune function
- rich in phytonutrients that can help reduce chronic inflammation
- high in both soluble and insoluble fiber, which together, can aid digestion and act as a prebiotic to maximize gut function
- rich in potassium which can help regulate blood pressure
Shaved Napa Salad with Spicy Thai Peanut Dressing and Avocado
(Makes 4 salads)
- 4 cups Napa Cabbage, shaved on a mandolin
- 1 cup Red Cabbage, shaved on a mandolin
- 1 cup Carrots, shredded
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small English Cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup Edamame, shelled and sautéed until charred
- 1 cup Spicy Thai Peanut Dressing (recipe below)
- 1 Avocado, peeled, pit removed and sliced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed Cilantro, chopped
- 2 medium Scallions, thinly sliced
- Place the Napa and red cabbages, carrots, red bell pepper, cucumber, edamame and spicy Thai peanut dressing in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Plate ¼ of the dressed salad on each of four plates.
- Top each salad with one quarter of the avocado slices in the center and sprinkle with cilantro and sliced scallion.
Spicy Thai Peanut Dressing
- 1/4 cup Peanut Butter
- 2 Tablespoons unseasoned Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Lime Juice
- ¼ cup Avocado Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Tamari
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 2 cloves Garlic peeled and trimmed
- 1-inch square piece fresh Ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon Salt, Kosher
- 1 Thai Chili Pepper, stem removed
- ¼ cup fresh Cilantro, with upper stems
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
If you'd like more information on the Ways to Wellness program, or to sign up for a cooking class with Chef Jeremy, visit the Fairview website.