MINNEAPOLIS — Editor's Note: Watch the video above for more information.
- 1 ½ lbs. bulk breakfast sausage
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped fine
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large loaf crusty bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish. In a large bowl, combine, eggs, cream and mustard.
- Add bread cubes to bowl, toss to coat and set aside
- Add sausage to large sauté pan and brown over medium heat breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add mushroom and cook through. Sprinkle with fresh chopped sage and set aside.
- Layer 1/3 of the bread mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with half the sausage mixture and sprinkle with one-third of cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of bread mixture, the other half of the sausage, and another ½ cup cheese.
- Cover with a third layer of bread mixture and sprinkle with the last of the cheese.
- Cover and bake the strata for 40 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake another 10 minutes or until the top is nicely browned and bubbly, about 1 hour total.
Get more recipes:
Watch the latest recipes featured on KARE 11 News in our YouTube playlist: