GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. — Melissa Jaeger, RD, LD is here to help you improve your heart health this February in honor of American Heart Month!
Jaeger says oatmeal contains fiber that can help us to lower our cholesterol and keep our digestive track moving.
"Overnight oats are an easy way to incorporate oatmeal into your heart-healthy diet all while providing you with an easy, on-the-go breakfast option," she says.
For more overnight oat recipes head to www.hy-vee.com.
Toasted Coconut Overnight Oats
*Makes 2 servings
- 1 c. rolled oats
- 1, 15 oz. can coconut milk or milk desired
- ½ c. vanilla Greek yogurt
- ¼ c. unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 c. almond butter, or nut butter desired
- ¼ tsp. salt (optional)
Optional for serving: extra toasted coconut, nut butter, pineapple tidbits, chopped kiwi and honey
1. Toast coconut in a skillet over low heat or in an oven on low heat for 3 – 5 minutes. Watch the coconut to ensure it does not burn as it will toast very quickly. 2. In a bowl combine oats, milk, yogurt, toasted coconut, honey, chia seeds, vanilla extract and nut butter. 3. Divide mixture between two glass jars or re-seable containers. 4. Seal and place in the refrigerator overnight. After refrigeration, serve with additional toasted coconut, nut butter, chia seeds, honey as desired.
This recipe is an adaptation from the following recipe: https://www.howsweeteats.com/2016/02/toasted-coconutovernight-oats/
Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Overnight Oats
- Half of a ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ c. pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- ½ Tbsp. chia seeds
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ c. rolled oats
- ½ c. milk of choice
- ½ Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. mini semisweet chocolate chips
Optional for serving: 1 Tbsp. nuts/seeds of choice, fresh sliced banana, and additional chia seed for garnish
1. In a bowl, mash the banana. Once mashed, add the pumpkin puree to the banana and stir to combine. 2. Add peanut butter, cocoa powder, chia seeds and vanilla extract to the banana and pumpkin mixture. Stir to combine. 3. Add the rolled oats, milk, honey, chocolate chips and mix until thoroughly combined. 4. Place mixture in a lidded container and place in the refrigerator overnight.
Optional for serving: Top with extra peanut butter, chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
This recipe is an adaptation from the following recipe: http://breakfastdramaqueen.com/2014/09/27/chocolate-peanut-butterfudge-overnight-oats/
Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats
- ½ c. rolled oats
- 1/3 c. milk of choice
- 4 Tbsp. blueberries, fresh
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp Siggi’s vanilla yogurt (or vanilla Greek yogurt of choice)
1. Place all ingredients in a jar or container with lid. 2. Stir all ingredients until combined and seal. 3. Once covered, place in the refrigerator overnight. Top with additional blueberries for serving and lemon zest if desired.
This recipe is an adaptation from the following recipe: https://hurrythefoodup.com/how-to-make-overnight-oats-in-a-jar/
MORE FOOD: RECIPE: Fideuà from Estelle