MINNEAPOLIS - A second case of measles has been confirmed in a child who lives in Hennepin County, according to health officials.
The Minnesota Department of Health said a 2-year-old child who lived in Kenya and traveled to Minnesota for specialized medical care (unrelated to measles) has been confirmed to be the county's second case.
MDH says the child's measles symptoms became apparent on Aug. 20. However, they say the child was not in public settings and they classify the risk to the general public as low.
The most recent case follows the county's first confirmed case earlier this month when a 5-year-old child became ill shortly after returning from an international trip, where measles is common.
That child was likely infectious from July 30 to Aug. 7, according to the MDH.
Local public health staff, as well as clinic and hospital staff where the child was treated, have notified those who may have been exposed.
The child was not vaccinated against measles and was previously hospitalized.
Health officials say last year Minnesota experienced its largest measles outbreak since 1991, with 75 cases between April and August of 2017.
According to a news release from the MDH: "Measles is highly contagious and spreads easily by coughing, sneezing or even being in the same room with someone who has measles. The best way to prevent measles is through vaccination."