Breaking News
More () »

Man charged in brutal murder in south Minneapolis

Charles Brown was charged with two counts of murder on July 15 in connection to the stabbing death of 67-year-old Duane Brown.
Credit: Aldeca Productions - stock.adobe
Wooden gavel on table close up. Justice concept. 3d rendering

MINNEAPOLIS — Hennepin County prosecutors say a 55-year-old man beat and stabbed another man to death at a south Minneapolis apartment building on Sunday.

Charles Brown was charged with two counts of murder on July 15 in connection to the death of 67-year-old Duane Kevin Brown of Minneapolis. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner later announced Duane Brown died from multiple sharp force injuries.

On July 12, Minneapolis firefighters responded to a fire alarm call at 1700 3rd Avenue South.

They found no fire but discovered a man, later identified as Duane Brown, lying face down on the floor of the living room.

Brown appeared to have been dead for quite some time, according to the criminal complaint.

Investigators later learned that Duane Brown was a resident of the apartment complex.

Police officers said that the living room showed signs of a struggle with a television knocked over, a lamp overturned, "several broken bottles of liquor, and significant blood splatter," according to the complaint.

Authorities believe a stool was used to beat Brown in the head. 

He also had three stab wounds and one of his hands was still holding a large kitchen knife by the blade.

Prosecutors believe the attack "occurred in phases over a period of time," according to the complaint.

Charles Brown told investigators that he and Duane Brown were longtime friends. Charles said he and Duane had run into each other on June 11, 2022 and decided to go to the Duane's apartment to drink. Charles said they drank heavily and eventually he fell asleep in the bedroom. He said when he woke up, he discovered the door open and his friend dead.

Charles told investigators "he became emotionally distraught and curled up in a ball in the bedroom until MFD discovered him there."

He's currently being held at the Hennepin County Jail.

MORE NEWS: Yellowstone's floodwaters surge through eastern Montana

MORE NEWS: Fawn collar project to monitor deer in southern Minnesota

Before You Leave, Check This Out