Breaking News
More () »

Two officers injured after chase, standoff in Minneapolis

Police say multiple people were arrested after suspects in stolen cars led officers on a chase starting by the Stone Arch Bridge.

MINNEAPOLIS — Six people inside a  Minneapolis home were taken into custody following a police chase Tuesday evening.

Around 7:30 p.m., Minneapolis Police officers reported two stolen vehicles drove into Mill Ruins Park near the Stone Arch Bridge.

According to a press release, officers tried to stop the two vehicles because the people inside matched the descriptions of suspects being sought for other crimes.

As officers tried to stop the vehicles, both drove off. One vehicle sideswiped an officer, briefly pinning him against his squad car.

The suspect vehicle then brushed against another squad car door, knocking it into a second officer.

Other officers chased the fleeing vehicle, and the Minnesota State Patrol helicopter was deployed to help officers maintain a safe distance.

When the vehicle got to the area around 18th St. and Newton Ave. in Minneapolis, police say a suspect got out of that vehicle and into another stolen vehicle and continued to run from police.

The suspect drove to the 2000 block of Queen Ave. N., where officers say they saw the suspect get out of the vehicle and go into a home. 

Police say they set up a perimeter around the house and tried to convince the people inside to come out, but failed. After obtaining a search warrant, officers went into the home just before 1 a.m. Wednesday.

Three men and three women were taken into police custody. Their names have not been released as of Wednesday morning.

The two injured officers were taken to an area hospital and were released with non-life-threatening injuries.

Minneapolis Police Department Spokesman John Elder said, "we're very, very thankful. One officer received a concussion, another one received soft tissue injuries and road rash."

The investigation into this case is still underway. Officers located the second stolen vehicle involved in hitting an officer, and say that no one was inside when they found it.

RELATED: Police: ‘Umbrella Man’ provoked looting, arson following George Floyd’s death

RELATED: How 'The Real Minneapolis' is planting hope in the city after unrest

Before You Leave, Check This Out