NEW RICHMOND, Wis. — A western Wisconsin man has been found guilty of second degree reckless homicide in the fatal shooting of his son. 

Kayle Alan Fleischauer was originally charged with first degree intentional homicide, and possession of a firearm by a felon after his 20-year-old son Chase was fatally shot in the head. Wisconsin state sentencing guidelines call for up to 25 years in prison and a $100,000 fine. Fleischauer would serve up to 15 years in prison and 10 years on extended supervision. 

Early the morning of April 14, 2018, Fleischauer's daughter Somer called 911 and told dispatchers her brother had shot himself. When St. Croix County deputies arrived at the New Richmond home first responders were performing CPR on the victim, and the 43-year-old Fleischauer and his daughter were sitting on the floor covered in blood. 

RELATED: Wis. father charged in death of son

Deputies found Kayle Fleischauer to be unemotional, and reported he smelled of alcohol, was slurring his words and had difficulty keeping his balance. When asked his name, Kayle responded "I'm going to tell you how it is... I didn't kill my chase." When deputies continued their questioning Fleischauer became agitated, pulled down his pants and gestured towards them in an aggressive manner. He was placed in handcuffs at that point, but not arrested. 

Detectives talked with Somer Fleischauer and say she told them "This is insane, I don't know why my Dad would do this." When asked what her Dad did, she said "He obviously f#$&ing shot him in the head." Somer said her father and brother had been fighting earlier in the evening after they had food and drinks. She awoke to a loud noise, ran upstairs and found her brother Chase on the ground and his blood "everywhere." She said she screamed at her dad to call for help, but he said Chase was already gone. 

An autopsy of Chase Fleischauer's body revealed a gunshot to the head that the medical examiner's office ruled was a homicide. The examiner also found injuries that indicated an altercation had taken place, including a laceration to his lip, contusions to his cheek and upper arm, and scrapes on his neck and arms. 

During the trial Fleischauer and his defense team insisted that Cale Fleischauer accidently shot himself. After Thursday's verdict the court revoked his bail, and the defendant was immediately remanded to the custody of the state.