MINNEAPOLIS — A traffic stop in Uptown Minneapolis is at the center of a new lawsuit against Mohamed Noor, a second police officer and the City of Minneapolis.
It happened on May 18, 2017, almost exactly two months before Noor fired the shot that killed Justine Ruszczyk Damond.
Brian Oman claims he was driving along 24th Street West in Minneapolis when Noor and his partner at the time, officer Justin Schmidt, pulled him over.
Police dashcam video shows both officers pulled their guns as they approached the car – pointing them at the driver.
In a lawsuit filed in Hennepin County District Court, Oman claims the traffic stop was unwarranted and that the officers used excessive force when they aimed their weapons at him. It also accused them of retaliating against him by filing false traffic violation charges after he questioned why he was stopped.
Court records show the Minneapolis City Attorney’s Office dismissed the traffic charges.
Because of the incident, Oman’s lawsuit says he suffered “emotional trauma, anguish, and distress.” It seeks more than $50,000 for damages and lost wages.
The lawsuit says Oman’s car entered an intersection on a green light but had to wait for another vehicle before clearing the intersection. It argues that is not a red light violation, so police officers should not have stopped him in the first place.
When Oman pulled over, the lawsuit claims the two officers approached his car and “intentionally pointed and aimed their firearms directly at Mr. Oman’s face, head and torso.”
Prosecutors in Noor’s third-degree murder trial attempted to introduce the traffic stop video as evidence he had a history of “unnecessarily escalating force” – but the judge did not allow it.
Last month a jury convicted Noor of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the shooting death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond.
He is scheduled to be sentenced on June 7th.